Honoring the Past ~ Meeting the Needs of the Future
Since 1923, Independent Presbyterian Church has operated the Children’s Fresh Air Farm for under-served children in the greater Birmingham area. In 2010, we created the Christian-focused Summer Learning Program. Now children from our STAIR program have six weeks of reading, writing, and mathematics in the mornings, as well as afternoons filled with art, music, drama, science and swimming. The children also enjoy Bible study and daily worship.
Summer Learning Program Activities
Here are some of the many activities the children enjoyed in 2015:
- Swim lessons
- Field trips to the Birmingham Zoo, The Little Cahaba River, Highlands Golf Course, and Red Mountain Theatre
- Science and gardening enrichment
- Golf lessons provided by the Greater Birmingham Junior Golf Organization
- Junior Achievement’s “More than Money” program
- The Foundry-In-A-Box
- Clay workshops by Susan Gagne
- Walker Wright’s Rejoicing Rhythms drumming lessons
- Music lessons with Susie Bagwell and special music with Reed Lochamy
- Two healthy meals and a snack
- Games, crafts, cooking and more!
Each program graduate receives school supplies for the upcoming year, a new uniform, and a voucher for new shoes. New scholars are also given a Bible.
IPC is providing a dynamic and enriching experience for our Summer Learning Program scholars. God is blessing your gifts of time, talent, and treasure and using them to make this summer so very special for these children.
Want to Help?
If you are willing to pitch in from time to time on light projects around the farm, click on "Friends of the Farm" above to be added to the email list.
With 96 garden plots, a shade garden and perennials there is plenty to do whether you are a Master Gardener of simply enjoy working in nature. These areas are the centerpiece of the farm and bring great joy to our visitors! Click on "Garden Group" link above to receive emails about work days and current projects.
If you would like to volunteer with the Children's Fresh Air Farm, contact Catherine Goudreau at email@example.com.