Remember when you couldn't wait for recess?
The fun returns to Independent Presbyterian Church for Recess Respite Program. Volunteers will play games, create art, sing, share a devotional, laugh and have fun alongside participants with mild to moderate memory loss on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am- 2 pm in Highland Hall.
Think of it as IPC's newest team. Associate Pastor and director of Congregational Ministries Rev. Brian Lays is the athletic director. Recess director Pat Flowers is the coach. The players are the participants, and all of them are MVPs. The volunteers are the cheerleaders. Family, caregivers and friends are the fans.
Recess Respite Program Activities
Trained staff and volunteers will lead the following activities:
- Daily devotional
- Visual arts and crafts
- Service projects
- Storytelling and other verbal games
Participants and volunteers will also be served lunch.
The program gives caregivers a break each week to run errands, visit with friends, and rest. Caregivers can participate in a monthly support group to share ideas and concerns with other caregivers, as well as learn more from memory loss professionals.
How to Enroll
To qualify, participants must be able to:
- Walk without assistance or with the assistance of a cane, walker or rollator
- Attend to restroom needs unassisted
- Participate in social activities
- Feed themselves
Contact Pat Flowers for additional information or to receive application materials.
How to Volunteer
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Set-up on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30- 9:30 am
- Clean-up on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2- 3 pm
- Serving as a companion to participants during the program on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 am- 2 pm
- Helping with lunch Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 am- 1 pm
- Playing the keyboard for sing-alongs
- Performing for the program (i.e. music, drama, dance, drumming, storytelling)
- Leading an easy art or craft class
- Organizing and maintaining activity supplies on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1- 5 pm
- Assisting with administrative duties Mondays- Thursdays
A special volunteer training and information session will be held Tuesday, April 17 from 9 am- 12 pm. Contact Pat Flowers for more information.