The incarnation of God in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ gives to the church not only its mission but also its understanding of membership. One becomes an active member of the church through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and acceptance of his Lordship in all of life. Baptism and a public profession of faith in Jesus as Lord are the visible signs of entrance into the active membership of the church.
- The Meaning of Membership (PC-USA)
Independent Presbyterian Church (IPC) is a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA). We welcome visitors and new members to our fellowship. If you are new to Birmingham or looking for a church home, please join us for worship or sign up for our online newsletter to receive information about other church opportunities.
We are always grateful when we have an opportunity to share the “good news” of God’s grace with others. Our congregation is open to all persons wherever they may be on their spiritual journey. Join us for worship and study - we want to get to know you.
Joining Independent Presbyterian Church
One becomes a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and acceptance of his Lordship in all of life. Baptism and public profession of faith in Jesus as Lord are the visible signs of entrance into the active membership of the church. (The PC-USA Book of Order G.5)
We (Independent Presbyterian Church and The Presbyterian Church (USA) ) believe in one Baptism. If a person has been Baptized in another church, that Baptism is recognized in our church.
Persons may enter into active membership in the following ways:
- Profession of Faith and Baptism - For people who have never been baptized.
- Confirmation of Baptismal Vows - For people who have been baptized but never joined a church.
- Reaffirmation of Faith - For people who have been baptized and confirmed in a church or denomination that does not transfer letters of membership. (Examples: Roman Catholic, Baptist, and Episcopal.)
- Transfer of Letter - For people who have been baptized and are currently a member of a denomination that transfers letters. These churches are referred to as Corresponding Churches. (The Methodist Church, Church of Christ, and some other Presbyterian denominations are examples. The pastor's office has a list of Corresponding Churches.)
Questions Asked Upon Profession or Reaffirmation of Faith
Who is your Lord and Savior? Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
Do you trust in him? I do.
Do you intend to be his disciple, to obey his word and to show his love? I do.
Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way, and will you seek the fellowship of the church wherever you may be? I will.