Children's Fresh Air Farm (CFAF)
Honoring the Past ~ Meeting the Needs of the Future
Since 1923, Independent Presbyterian Church has operated the Children’s Fresh Air Farm for under-served children in the greater Birmingham area. After detailed study of the program, we added an intensive educational component in 2010, creating the Summer Learning Program. Now the children have six weeks of reading, writing and mathematics in the mornings, and in the afternoons they enjoy art, music, drama, science and recreational activities, including swimming and physical education. The children are mainly recruited from our STAIR program (Start The Adventure in Reading).
The Summer Learning Program has Christian-focused Bible study and worship with a daily service in the outdoor chapel. The children have responded eagerly to the safe, fun and loving surroundings of the camp filled with many volunteers of all ages, including many of our youth. The children have also made significant strides in their academic studies.
Summer Learning Program Activities
Here are some of the many activities the children enjoyed during the 2014 Summer Learning Program:
- Red Cross Water Safety instruction and swimming lessons
- Field trips to the Birmingham Zoo, The McWane Center, The Little Cahaba River, Highlands Golf Course, and UAB
- Science and gardening enrichment supporting grade level courses of study, as well as growing, harvesting, and cooking with blueberries
- Golf lessons provided by the Greater Birmingham Junior Golf Organization
- Red Mountain Theatre workshops
- The Construction Education Foundation of Alabama presentation
- Hand In Paw visit, explaining the proper care of dogs and safety tips around strange dogs
- The Foundry-In-A-Box
- The UAB Athletic/Mentor program
- Walker Wright’s Rejoicing Rhythms drumming lessons
- Creative Writing workshops
- Music lessons with Susie Bagwell
- Singing, games, arts and crafts and fun
- Two healthy meals and a snack!
AND… Each child graduated from the program with their school supplies for the upcoming year, a new uniform, and a voucher for new shoes. New scholars were given a story Bible.
As you can see, IPC is providing a dynamic and enriching experience for our Summer Learning Program scholars. God is blessing your gifts of time, talent, and treasure, and using them to make this summer so very special for these children.
Want to Help?
If you would like to volunteer with the Children's Fresh Air Farm, contact Gini Williams, Director Children's Fresh Air Farm at email@example.com or 205.822.0150.
CFAF In The News
January, 2014 - Children's Fresh Air Farm receives grant from SAIL Partnership to prevent summer learning loss
October 2013 - Hoover's Magazine on the IPC Summer Learning Program at the Children's Fresh Air Farm